Kimchi: Another management tool. Why/What/how?
PowerKVM Provides hypervisor technology similar to x86 Virtualization users as well committed Linux and KVM users. Kimchi is an simple tool to manage KVM Hypervisor.
This blog talks about setup kimchi and deploying virtual machine on PowerKVM
What it is?
Iis self-contained CherryPy RESTFul web application built on libvirt, HTML5 based on jQuery. Kimchi comes with preloaded PowerKVm hypervisor. This can be can be managed from any where (Desktop, Mobile, Tab). And also from any browser.
Most virtualization Management layer tools focus on large virtualization needs. This tool to cater to admins & entry level users. It has very simple environment to provide basic configuration/Administration to setup virtual server.
1) Make sure kimchid & ginger installed on your powerKVM server. By default they are installed.
[root@powerkvm ~]# systemctl status kimchid.service
kimchid.service – Kimchi server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/kimchid.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-08-08 22:40:08 IST; 21h ago
Process: 120846 ExecStop=/bin/kill -TERM $MAINPID (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 120872 (kimchid)
├─120872 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/kimchid
├─120878 nginx: master process nginx -c /etc/kimchi/nginx_kimchi.conf
├─120879 nginx: worker process
└─120884 python /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/kimchi/websockify.py 64667 –target-config /var/lib/kimchi/vnc-tokens –cert /etc/kimchi/kimchi-cert.pem –key /e…
Aug 08 22:40:10 powerkvm kimchid: [08/Aug/2014:22:40:10] ENGINE Started monitor thread ‘Autoreloader’.
2) Access Kimchi from client machine (Mobile/Tablet/Laptop) browser.
3) Access Host information
4) Create Storage Pool & Network type
Available storage pools : NFS, Directory, Logical, ISCSI, SCSI Fibre Channel
Types of Network interfaces: isolated, NAT, Bridge)
5) Create template from selected iso as per your requirements.
iso: local or remote iso
6. Edit Template based on user requirement (cpu, memory, created n/w interface, storage pool, Template Name..etc)
7) Go to Guests tab and create VM using template.
8. Start VM and access console (novnc protocal) to VM.
9. Use Actions drop down box to play with VM ( running or shutoff)
10. List of VM’s running on Powerkvm Host
11. If needed, custom script can be written to clone VM
11. Youtube Video